Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing
If you want to make the change to a nursing career, now is the time—and Gwynedd Mercy University is the educational partner you need. The Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions at Gwynedd Mercy University has produced exceptional nurses for more than 50 years. Graduates of our programs gain the skills and knowledge they need to provide superior care to patients and become leaders within the nursing profession.
You can join them in as little as four semesters with our Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) degree. Based at both our central Philadelphia and Bensalem locations, this on-campus second degree program builds on the general education from your previous bachelor’s degree with health sciences knowledge and clinical experience.
We offer you:
- The qualification employers prefer – More and more employers favor nurses with four-year degrees;
- An open door to the future – With a BSN, you’ll have the foundation you need to pursue leadership roles or graduate nursing education later in your career.
A First Professional Degree in Nursing
Our 67-credit ABSN program offers you the opportunity to develop the comprehensive skills and knowledge you need to treat patients and collaborate with other practitioners. Courses cover topics such as:
- Fundamentals of Nursing Practice
- Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing
- Nursing Care of Adults
- Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families
- Morality and Contemporary Health Care
- Health and Illness in the Community
- Leadership and Management in Professional Nursing
Laboratory experiences and clinical rotations provide hands-on, practical training.
Where You Can Study
The Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing is a first professional degree for nurses. It requires face-to-face instruction and clinical experience. You will study at either our central Philadelphia or Bensalem locations, which feature advanced classrooms and training equipment.
If you graduated from your first bachelor’s program more than five years ago, your Nutrition course was not taught by a Registered Dietician, or if your major did not include laboratory science courses, you will need to complete and pass prerequisite courses before you can begin your ABSN degree. In fact, 90% of our ABSN graduates completed at least one prerequisite course at GMercyU.
GMercyU offers online prerequisite courses in the health sciences specifically designed for students like you who want to make the change to a nursing career. These classes feature in-home laboratory experiences. Please click here to learn more.
Who Can Apply
The Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing at Gwynedd Mercy University is a professional nursing degree designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in another field. We will consider applicants who:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree at a regionally-accredited college or university;
- Provide official transcripts from high school and all colleges or universities attended;
- Provide proof of successful completion of prerequisite courses.
After you have been accepted and enrolled, you will need to take the following additional steps before beginning your ABSN classes:
- Pass a criminal background and child abuse records check;
- Undergo a drug screening and FBI fingerprinting;
- Provide a certificate of health from a primary care provider, including immunization information;
- Provide proof of CPR certification, liability insurance, and personal health insurance.
You will also need to obtain an annual flu vaccination and PPD screening throughout the duration of your program.
Discover the Next
with Gwynedd Mercy University
The Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing is offered at our Philadelphia and Bensalem locations. Why not visit the campus and take a tour of our brand new nursing skills labs. Contact an admissions counselor today to learn more about accelerated adult education at Gwynedd Mercy University!