Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing
If you want to make the change to a nursing career, now is the time—and Gwynedd Mercy University is the educational partner you need. The Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions at Gwynedd Mercy University has produced exceptional nurses for more than 70 years. Graduates of our programs gain the skills and knowledge they need to provide superior care to patients and become leaders within the nursing profession.
You can join them in as little as six semesters with our Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing (DEMSN) degree. This on-campus second-degree program builds on the general education from your bachelor’s degree with health sciences knowledge and clinical experience.
We offer you:
- The qualification employers prefer – More and more employers favor nurses with advanced degrees;
- An open door to the future – With an MSN, you’ll have the foundation you need to pursue leadership roles or doctoral nursing education later in your career.
The Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing program is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.
A First Professional Degree in Nursing
Our 79-credit DEMSN program offers you the opportunity to develop the comprehensive skills and knowledge you need to treat patients and collaborate with other practitioners. Courses cover topics such as:
- Fundamentals of Nursing Practice
- Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing
- Nursing Care of Adults
- Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families
- Health and Illness in the Community
- Leadership and Management in Professional Nursing
Laboratory experiences and clinical rotations provide hands-on, practical training.
Where You Can Study
The Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing is a first professional degree for nurses. It requires face-to-face instruction and clinical experience. You will study at either our Gwynedd Valley or Bensalem locations for our full-time DEMSN and at our Gwynedd Valley campus.
If you graduated from your first bachelor’s program more than five years ago, your Nutrition course was not taught by a Registered Dietician, or if your major did not include laboratory science courses, you will need to complete and pass prerequisite courses before you can begin your DEMSN degree. In fact, 90% of our accelerated nursing graduates completed at least one prerequisite course at GMercyU.
GMercyU offers online prerequisite courses in the health sciences specifically designed for students like you who want to make the change to a nursing career. These classes feature in-home laboratory experiences. Please click here to learn more.
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions, including an unofficial High School transcript.
- Earned a bachelor’s degree program at a regionally-accredited college or university.
Who Can Apply
The Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing at Gwynedd Mercy University is a professional nursing degree designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in another field. We will consider applicants who:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree at a regionally-accredited college or university;
- Provide official transcripts from high school and all colleges or universities attended;
- Provide proof of successful completion of prerequisite courses.
After you have been accepted and enrolled, you will need to take the following additional steps before beginning your DEMSN classes:
- Pass a criminal background and child abuse records check;
- Undergo a drug screening and FBI fingerprinting;
- Provide a certificate of health from a primary care provider, including immunization information;
- Provide proof of CPR certification, liability insurance, and personal health insurance.
You will also need to obtain an annual flu and COVID-19 vaccinations and PPD screening throughout the duration of your program.
Discover What Comes Next
with Gwynedd Mercy University
The Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing is offered at our Gwynedd Valley main campus. Why not visit the campus and take a tour of our nursing skills labs. Contact an enrollment representative today to learn more about accelerated adult education at Gwynedd Mercy University!
Licensure: This program was designed to meet the licensure requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s licensure requirements prior to enrolling in this program. For more information, please visit our Program Licensure Requirements page.