Online Master of Science in Education – Secondary Education Certification
Gain the skills you need to help young people prepare for college or entry-level careers: become a secondary school teacher with Gwynedd Mercy University.
Our online Master of Science in Education (MSED) program offers you both the training you need to help students develop and professional preparation for your Instructional I Certificate. We offer secondary certification in:
- Social Studies
Students in our MSED program engage with the latest education research, develop practical instruction skills, and gain hands-on experience in a practicum with a local school. Courses are taken online in seven-week blocks.
What You Can Learn
Courses for the MSED with Secondary Certification include a 30-credit core of teaching and education theory courses:
- The Learning and Teaching Process
- Social & Political Foundations of Education
- Standards Aligned System Secondary School Methods and Materials
- Student Teaching
- Multicultural and Diversity Issues in Education
- Foundations of Special Education in an Inclusionary Setting
- Research Skills for the Reflective Practitioner
- Effective Communication for Educators
- Standard Aligned System, Curriculum Development & Peer Coaching
- Culminating Project
A practicum or student teaching experience in a local school completes the program.
Who Can Apply
Applicants to our MSEd program are generally professionals from another field making the switch to teaching. Requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in your bachelor’s program
For your chosen content certification area, you may be required to take additional courses.
Applicants who fall just below the minimum GPA requirement (2.7-2.9 GPA) may request a review of their application by the program director. However, acceptance of an application for review does not guarantee admission to the program.
Financial aid is available for this program.
Earn Your Master’s in Education Online
Take the first step towards new opportunities in teaching today. Contact Gwynedd Mercy University now to learn more about our online master’s degree programs in education.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.