Online Master of Science in Education
Whether you are a current teacher seeking professional development or a bachelor’s degree holder who wants to prepare to become certified as a teacher, our online Master of Science in Education (MSED) degree could be the right program for you. With Gwynedd Mercy University, you can earn your master’s in education in an online learning community that supports your goals, respects your schedule, and prepares you to help students do more.
Students in our 30-credit MSED program can opt to earn the degree by itself or prepare for certification at the PreK-4 or Secondary level, including specific subject areas. You’ll engage with the latest education research, develop practical instruction skills, and gain hands-on experience in a practicum with a local school. Courses are taken online in seven-week blocks.
Practical Skills for Teachers, Grounded in Research
All Master of Science in Education students advance through six core courses designed to produce reflective educators capable of understanding their students’ needs. Courses include:
- Effective Communication for Educators
- Foundations of Special Education in an Inclusionary Setting
- Multicultural & Diversity Issues in Education
- Research Skills for Reflective Practitioners
- Social & Political Foundations of Education
- Teaching and Learning Process
After completion of the core, students have the option to take an additional 12-18 credits in their chosen certification area. A practicum or student teaching experience completes the program.
Elementary and Secondary Teaching Certifications for New Teachers
MSED program students have the option to prepare for certificates in the following educational areas:
- MS in Ed. with Pre-K-4 Certification
- MS in Ed. with Secondary Biology Certification 7-12
- MS in ed. with Secondary Mathematics Certification 7-12
- MS in Ed. with Secondary English Certification 7-12
- MS in Ed. with Secondary Social Studies Certification 7-12
Click on a certification option to learn more.
Who Can Apply
Applicants to our MSEd program can be current teachers or professionals from another field making the switch to teaching. Requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in your bachelor’s program.
Applicants who fall just below the minimum GPA requirement may request a review of their application by the program director. However, acceptance of an application for review does not guarantee admission to the program.
Financial aid is available for this program.
Earn Your Master’s in Education Online
Take the first step towards new opportunities in teaching today. Contact Gwynedd Mercy University now to learn more about our online master’s degree programs in education.
Licensure: This program was designed to meet the licensure requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s licensure requirements prior to enrolling in this program. For more information, please visit our Program Licensure Requirements page.