Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Practitioner
Prepare to do more for patient and community health as a primary care practitioner. Gwynedd Mercy University’s Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Practitioner degree program teaches you the advanced clinical skills you need to provide diagnoses, treatments, and referrals for adult and pediatric patients without the supervision of a physician. Our MSN-NP program is accredited by the CCNE. **
This 43-credit master’s degree program gives you the option to specialize in one of the following population areas:
- Adult Gerontology—for patients from adolescence to the elder years
- Pediatrics—for patients from birth to age 21
The MSN-NP includes 585 hours of precepted clinical and role specialty practice. After graduation, you should be prepared to pass the American Nurses Credentialing Center Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Primary Care or Pediatrics Nurse Practitioner Primary Care examination. You will also be academically prepared to pursue a doctoral degree in nursing.
This program is currently available at our main campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania, and can be completed in two years.
Career Opportunities for Nurse Practitioner Graduates
As an NP, you can provide primary care services in private practice, as part of a physician’s practice, or in hospital or clinical settings (depending upon practice regulations in your state).
Roles and Salary Potential*
- Nurse Practitioner (MSN-NP) – Median salary $88,274[i]
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (MSN-NP) – Median salary $83,850[ii]
- Nurse Practitioner (MSN-NP) – Median salary $98,190[iii]
- Nursing Manager (BSN or MSN programs) – Median salary $82,361[iv]
- Nursing Administrator (MSN or DNP) – Median salary $80,451[v]
Curriculum and Course Topics
The goal of the MSN-NP program is to produce nurses with the clinical capacities to perform as independent primary care practitioners.
Graduates of this program should also be prepared to act as patient and community health advocates, providing individuals and families with the information they need to take control of their own health and manage conditions effectively.
Course topics include a 19-credit core of courses:
- Pharmacotherapeutics for APN Across the Lifespan
- Pathophysiology for Advanced Practice Nursing
- Theoretical Foundations of Nursing
- Advanced Assessment Practicum for APN
- Advanced Physical Assessment APN Across the Lifespan
- Research Methodology
- Research Seminar
The remaining 24 credits include:
- A specialty elective (3 credits)
- Nurse Practitioner Role Seminar (3 credits)
- 18 credits in the Adult-Gerontology or Pediatric population specialty
Completing Your Clinical Requirements
The MSN-NP program requires 585 hours of precepted clinical practice in a setting other than your place of employment. Gwynedd Mercy University has hundreds of partnerships with health care providers that you can take advantage of in order to find your clinical site.
Faculty members will be able to assist you in locating a site, designating a preceptor, and completing all necessary documentation.
This nursing master’s degree program is for current, licensed Registered Nurses.
- 3.0 GPA minimum requirement
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a college or university accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), or Accrediting commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), (previously National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission (NLNAC)), or Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA)
- Two professional references from employers and one academic reference (these people who have known you for a minimum of one year)
- Personal Goal Statement
- APA format including citations and references with 12-point font and one-inch margins
- Minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1000 words
- In the statement, identify the following:
- Purpose for attending graduate school
- Discuss the responsibilities of the role that you are pursuing
- Why are you suited for the role that you are pursuing
- How will you incorporate adding graduate school into your life
- Evidence of the equivalent of 12 months of clinical practice in the area in which you are applying
- Must be completed within the last three years and prior to beginning the graduate practicum courses
- Official sealed transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- An undergraduate statistics course is required (completed within the last 10 years)
- Valid unencumbered Pennsylvania RN license (Must be PA)
- Maximum of six transferable credits will be evaluated for transfer.
- Must provide the syllabus including course description and student learning outcomes within 30 days of the personal interview
- Personal Interview with the Program Director and/or faculty
Discover the next in Your Nursing Career
Do more for patients, their families, and your community as an advanced practice nurse. Contact Gwynedd-Mercy University today to learn more about our master’s degree programs in nursing.
* Please note that salary estimates are based on survey data. Actual salaries may vary widely depending upon your location, the employer, and your experience and certification.
** The Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Practitioner program at Gwynedd Mercy University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.ccneaccreditation.org).