Top Jobs for an Online Bachelor of Science in Applied Psychology
Applied psychology is a bridge between the theories of psychology and their uses in practical settings. Accordingly, it intersects with many other fields of knowledge, from education to law and fields in between, and it has been a significant influence on the development of numerous now-common practices in mental health. A few of the most prominent products of applied psychology are:
- Educational psychology: This area encompasses the interpretation of student academic achievement, with an eye toward understanding differences between individuals and populations; it may also have a counseling component.
- Health psychology: Focuses on how health conditions are affected by biological, social and psychological forces. Subsets of health psychology include medical and occupational health psychology, which primarily pertain to psychopharmacology and workplace health, respectively.
- Clinical psychology: Perhaps the most well-known single application of psychological principles, clinical psychology involves the use of therapies and assessments in the management of disorders and the promotion of overall wellness.
- Business psychology: Examines human behavior in the workplace and its effects on organizational dynamics and operational effectiveness.
The scope of applied psychology is vast. Students with a bachelor’s degree or higher in the field have access to many different potential career options. Which ones are especially common, though? Here are a few to consider both during and after you complete your degree:
1. School psychologists
These psychologists work with students, parents and administrators on projects such as behavioral and learning modifications. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated that in the broader category of clinical, counseling and school psychologists, the median May 2016 salary was more than $73,000.
An online bachelor of science in applied psychology provides the fundamental skills for excelling in roles within schools. Coursework in developmental psychology, counseling, communications and group processes creates a solid base of knowledge for interacting with all educational stakeholders.
2. Sports psychologists
Psychology has many applications in sports. For example, athletes (of any age) might receive advice on how to deal with mental stress issues, improve their motivation levels and respond to injuries or other setbacks.
The BLS projected 10 percent growth for all psychologists outside of clinical, counseling, school and industrial-organizational roles from 2014 to 2024. This rate is faster than average, although slightly behind the 20 percent figure for clinical, counseling and school psychologists and the 19 percent benchmark for all psychologists.
3. Health psychologists
Growing demand for mental health services should create many opportunities for health psychologists to contribute to assessment and management of related conditions. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, one-fifth of U.S. adults experience a mental illness during a given year.
“Growing demand for mental health services should create many opportunities for health psychologists.”
Health psychologists can contribute to research, public policy works and clinical evaluations. Their responsibilities will be important in advancing collective understanding of the causes and treatments of many diseases.
4. Industrial-Organizational psychologists
How a business performs is directly impacted by relationships, both formal and informal in the workplace. From organizational hierarchies to performance evaluations to employee relations, how management and employees interact with each other and among their peer groups can affect the effectiveness of business decisions and operations.
The BLS estimates that the mean annual wage for this position is more than $100,000. Given the complexities of the business world, an applied psychology degree could prove useful.
Earn an online bachelor of science in applied psychology at GMercyU
You can open the doors to a wide variety of professional options by earning your bachelor’s degree in applied psychology from Gwynedd Mercy University. Available in a convenient accelerated online format, this degree program offers everything you need to start your career. Learn more and contact us at the program overview page.