Online Certificate in Special Education (PreK-12)
Prepare to do even more for children from preschool to twelfth grade as a special education teacher. Earn your certificate in special education online with Gwynedd Mercy University.
This program features master’s-level coursework which provides an integrated, practically-focused approach to research-based theory, equipping you to help special-needs learners achieve. The program consists of six courses presented online in seven-week blocks and is designed for current teachers who hold a prior Level I certification in a content area.
Core Special Education Curriculum
The goal of our 36-credit special education certification program is to help you become a practitioner who is:
- Driven by research: You will enhance and extend your understanding of current research methods so that you can continuously seek out and evaluate new research to help improve your service.
- Reflective: Equip yourself with self-assessment tools that help you critically examine your own efforts and how they relate to student progress.
- Focused on the whole child: You should emerge from this program with a holistic mindset that aims to support a child’s academic, social, and spiritual development.
Core courses in the online special education master’s program include:
- Foundations of Special Education for the Inclusionary Setting
- Diagnosis, Assessment, Prescriptive and Intervention Techniques for the Special Learner
- Researched Based Learning Methods & Materials for the Special Learner
- Seminar on Current Issues in Special Education
- Behavioral Management Skills for Special Learners
Who Can Apply for This Program?
Applicants to the online PreK-12 Special Education Certification Program should have earned a bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of a 3.0.
Applicants who fall just below the minimum GPA requirement (2.7-2.9 GPA) may request a review of their application by the program director. However, acceptance of an application for review does not guarantee admission to the program.
Help Special-Needs Students
If you want to become certified in PreK-12 Special Education, we can help. Contact Gwynedd Mercy University now to learn more about our online certification programs in education.
*Certification: This program was designed to meet the certification requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s certification requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
Licensure: This program was designed to meet the licensure requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you reside in a different state, you should carefully review your home state’s licensure requirements prior to enrolling in this program. For more information, please visit our Program Licensure Requirements page.