Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Educator
There is a crisis in nursing education: a lack of qualified instructors. According to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, nearly 80,000 qualified applicants were turned away from U.S. nursing schools in 2013, due primarily to faculty shortages.[i] You can take the first step towards doing your part to fill the need for qualified nurse educators with Gwynedd Mercy University. Our Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Educator program prepares you to teach student nurses in a collegiate setting, and puts you on the path towards a doctoral degree.
This 40-credit master’s degree program prepares you to effectively shape 21st Century nurses through a blend of:
- Advanced clinical knowledge, including research and evidence-based practice
- Educational and pedagogical theory
- Practical teaching experience
The MSN-NE includes 270 hours of precepted clinical and teaching practice. After graduation, you should be prepared to teach undergraduate nursing students. You will also have the option to take a certification examination, such as the National League for Nursing’s Certified Nurse Educator exam.
You can complete this program in about two years of full-time study. It is currently available on our main campus in Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania.
The Master of Science in Nursing program at Gwynedd Mercy University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791. The program is also accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board with full status.
Career Opportunities for Nurse Educator Graduates
MSN-NE graduates teach within hospitals or post-secondary institutions to train student nurses. They may also oversee clinical training programs within their facility or administer programs related to new or continuing nurse education.
Roles and Salary Potential*
- Nursing Manager – Median salary $82,361[ii]
- Postsecondary Nurse Educator – Median salary $71,575[iii]
- Nursing Administrator – Median salary $80,451[iv]
Curriculum and Course Topics
The Master of Science in Nursing – Nursing Educator program aims to produce the next generation of nursing educators who can train and evaluate student nurses while also acting as advocates for the profession.
Course topics include an 18-credit core of nursing courses:
- Theoretical Foundations of Nursing
- Research Methodology
- Research Seminar
- Pathophysiology for Advanced Practice Nursing
- Advanced Pharmacology
- Advanced Physical Assessment for APN Across the Lifespan
The remaining 22 credits include nursing education courses and practical teaching experience:
- Learning Theories
- Curriculum Design
- Topics in American Higher Education
- Teaching Strategies
- Clinical Seminar
- Clinical Practicum/Teaching Role
Completing Your Clinical and Practicum Requirements
The MSN-NP program requires 270 hours of combined precepted clinical practice and teaching experience in a setting other than your place of employment. Gwynedd Mercy University has hundreds of partnerships with health care providers and educational facilities that you can take advantage of in order to find your site.
Faculty members will be able to assist you in locating a site, designating a preceptor or supervisor, and completing all necessary documentation.
This nursing master’s degree program is for current, licensed Registered Nurses. Admissions requirements include:
- 3.0 GPA minimum requirement
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a college or university accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), or Accrediting commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), (previously National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission (NLNAC)), or Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA)
- Two professional references from employers and one academic reference (these people who have known you for a minimum of one year)
- Personal Goal Statement
- APA format including citations and references with 12-point font and one-inch margins
- Minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1000 words
- In the statement, identify the following:
- Purpose for attending graduate school
- Discuss the responsibilities of the role that you are pursuing
- Why are you suited for the role that you are pursuing
- How will you incorporate adding graduate school into your life
- Evidence of the equivalent of 12 months of clinical practice in the area in which you are applying
- Must be completed within the last three years and prior to beginning the graduate practicum courses
- Official sealed transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- An undergraduate statistics course is required (completed within the last 10 years)
- Valid unencumbered Pennsylvania RN license (Must be PA)
- Maximum of six transferable credits will be evaluated for transfer.
- Must provide the syllabus including course description and student learning outcomes within 30 days of the personal interview
- Personal Interview with the Program Director and/or faculty
Discover the next in Your Nursing Career
Do more for patients by preparing the next generation of nurses. Contact Gwynedd-Mercy University today to learn more about our master’s degree programs in nursing.
* Please note that salary estimates are based on survey data. Actual salaries may vary widely depending upon your location, the employer, and your experience and certification.