Online Master of Science in Education – Grades 4-8 Science Certification
Science is more than a collection of facts about biology, geology, and astronomy—it’s a method for understanding the world, investigating problems, and testing solutions. Help encourage children to participate in the scientific process: become a teacher with Gwynedd Mercy University.
Our online Master of Science in Education (MSED) program offers you both the training you need to help children grow and professional preparation for your Instructional I Certificate (Grades 4-8 Science). This program is designed for bachelor’s degree graduates who took at least 30 credit hours of science courses.
Students in our 36-credit MSED program engage with the latest education research, develop practical instruction skills, and gain hands-on experience in a practicum with a local school. Courses are taken online in seven-week blocks.
What You Can Learn
Courses for the MSED with 4-8 Science Certification include:
- The Learning and Teaching Process
- Social and Political Foundations of Education
- Standards Aligned System, Methods, Materials & Curriculum I
- Standards Aligned System, Methods, Materials & Curriculum II
- Methods and Theories for Teaching Mathematics
- Methods for Teaching Reading and Assessment
- Student Teaching
- Multicultural and Diversity Issues in Education
- Foundations of Special Education in a Inclusionary Setting
- Research Skills for Reflective Practitioners
- Action Research Seminar
- Culminating Project
A practicum or student teaching experience in a local school completes the program.
Who Can Apply
Applicants to our MSEd program are generally professionals from another field making the switch to teaching. Requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in your bachelor’s program
- At least 30 undergraduate credits in science
Applicants who fall just below the minimum GPA requirement (2.7-2.9 GPA) may request a review of their application by the program director. However, acceptance of an application for review does not guarantee admission to the program.
Financial aid is available for this program.
Earn Your Master’s in Education Online
Take the first step towards new opportunities in teaching today. Contact Gwynedd Mercy University now to learn more about our online master’s degree programs in education.