Online Certificate in Special Education (PreK-8)
Prepare to do even more for children from preschool to eighth grade as a special education teacher. Earn your certificate in special education online with Gwynedd Mercy University.
This program features master’s-level coursework which provides an integrated, practically-focused approach to research-based theory, equipping you to help special-needs learners achieve. The program consists of six courses presented online in seven-week blocks and is designed for current teachers who hold a prior Level I certification in a content area.
Core Special Education Curriculum
The goal of our 30-credit special education certification program is to help you become a practitioner who is:
- Driven by research: You will enhance and extend your understanding of current research methods so that you can continuously seek out and evaluate new research to help improve your service.
- Reflective: Equip yourself with self-assessment tools that help you critically examine your own efforts and how they relate to student progress.
- Focused on the whole child: You should emerge from this program with a holistic mindset that aims to support a child’s academic, social, and spiritual development.
Core courses in the online special education master’s program include:
- Foundations of Special Education for the Inclusionary Setting
- Diagnosis, Assessment, Prescriptive and Intervention Techniques for the Special Learner
- Researched Based Learning Methods & Materials for the Special Learner
- Seminar on Current Issues in Special Education
- Behavioral Management Skills for Special Learners
Who Can Apply for This Program?
Applicants to the online PreK-8 Special Education Certification Program should:
- Hold a current Instructional I Certification
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree and attained a minimum GPA of 3.0
Help Special-Needs Students
If you want to become certified in PreK-8 Special Education, we can help. Contact Gwynedd Mercy University now to learn more about our online certification programs in education.